I'm Not that Girl
I have had at least two people indirectly tell me that it looks like I've gained a few pounds. Pleasant people they were (said with a sarcastic laugh). The thing is, they were both women -- and that's sad, because I've always thought it was an unspoken rule between women to keep silent about any weight changes.
Unless the weight change is a good one i.e. you've lost weight... you look fabulous dahling! You've gained weight.. you look terrific!
This rule doesn't apply of course to blood relatives (who notoriously will say anything that comes to mind, without any real consideration for your feelings - my Mom is a good example - she used to tell me how two of her thighs equal one of hers - how's that for tact.) In fact, Joy and I have a go at each other when the other's been eating too many pop tarts (Joy) or Fruit Roll-ups (Angel). It also doesn't apply to your best friend who you should no offense in if she tells you, you can stand to lose a few pounds. Because you've always gotta have someone who will brutally honest like that and know they're not secretly hoping you gain more. (Thanks Mirz!)
This weight thing has got me all worked up. I've been going to the gym, rather irregularly since February, so clearly the results haven't come in. But strangely, I've never really felt more comfortable with my overall appearance. I mean I asked Louie to be bluntly honestly, do I look like a fat pig? He says I don't, and truthfully, I don't think I do either.
Now this is not that I won't listen at all when someone says you're overweight. I mean there are health reasons to consider. I'm just so friggin' annoyed that a few people have had the nerve to say something to me at a point in my life where I'm really just comfortable with the way I look.
Around this time last year, I was losing weight steadily due to stress that I don't care to remember. I also recall having no time to sleep and skipping alot of meals. It was not pretty -- and I would not go through that again to lose the ten pounds I lost back then.
I wonder what the best revenge is for those kinds of people? I thought maybe, hmmm, what if I lose weight and look utterly fabo? Will that do it? Nah, actually, then it just feeds the misconception that you always need to be thin. How about gaining weight to disprove it? Nope, I don't want to have to buy new clothes. How about just being utterly comfortable in your skin, regardless of what they say?
Hmmmm, I think that just might do the trick.
A Parting Thought...
"Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical."
-- Sophia Loren quotes (Italian film Actress)
Unless the weight change is a good one i.e. you've lost weight... you look fabulous dahling! You've gained weight.. you look terrific!
This rule doesn't apply of course to blood relatives (who notoriously will say anything that comes to mind, without any real consideration for your feelings - my Mom is a good example - she used to tell me how two of her thighs equal one of hers - how's that for tact.) In fact, Joy and I have a go at each other when the other's been eating too many pop tarts (Joy) or Fruit Roll-ups (Angel). It also doesn't apply to your best friend who you should no offense in if she tells you, you can stand to lose a few pounds. Because you've always gotta have someone who will brutally honest like that and know they're not secretly hoping you gain more. (Thanks Mirz!)
This weight thing has got me all worked up. I've been going to the gym, rather irregularly since February, so clearly the results haven't come in. But strangely, I've never really felt more comfortable with my overall appearance. I mean I asked Louie to be bluntly honestly, do I look like a fat pig? He says I don't, and truthfully, I don't think I do either.
Sure I can stand to lose a few pounds (and should definitely stay away from Coke given that its giving me gassy chest pain in the wee hours of the morning) - but dang, it's so annoying that people have to point it out to you.Its not like when they were on the heavy side of the scale I was there going, keep off the fried chicken tubby! Sometimes I wish I could be that bitchy -- but darn it, if people want to eat, then who I am to say anything?!?
Now this is not that I won't listen at all when someone says you're overweight. I mean there are health reasons to consider. I'm just so friggin' annoyed that a few people have had the nerve to say something to me at a point in my life where I'm really just comfortable with the way I look.
Around this time last year, I was losing weight steadily due to stress that I don't care to remember. I also recall having no time to sleep and skipping alot of meals. It was not pretty -- and I would not go through that again to lose the ten pounds I lost back then.
I wonder what the best revenge is for those kinds of people? I thought maybe, hmmm, what if I lose weight and look utterly fabo? Will that do it? Nah, actually, then it just feeds the misconception that you always need to be thin. How about gaining weight to disprove it? Nope, I don't want to have to buy new clothes. How about just being utterly comfortable in your skin, regardless of what they say?
Hmmmm, I think that just might do the trick.
A Parting Thought...
"Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical."
-- Sophia Loren quotes (Italian film Actress)
Excellent, love it! Wasp sting allergies buy tenuate information information
Posted by
Anonymous |
4:03 PM