« Home | And I Never Thought I'd Feel This Way... » | It's a Bird, It's a Plane... » | You Probably Think This Song is About You... » | Grateful » | How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying » | Birthday Greetings for Rony! » | Bitchin... » | Random Thoughts » | Happy Birthday, Chloe! » | Bewitched by Antonio's! » 

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 

Monster-In-Law

Ok, just for the record, the monster-in-law I am talking about is... Louie's mother-in-law. Therefore, this is in reference to my dear old mother.

You know, I never thought I'd see the day where I'd prefer to be around a mother-in-law than my own mother. My mother-in-law is so sane... and I mean not even when compared to scary people! She really is so unbelievably sane... it's no wonder Louie is who he is.

My Dad lost his wallet a few weeks ago containing his senior citizen card, license, etc. A few days ago, I offered to drive him around to work on getting new ones (I offered primarily because he took a bad fall last week and I didn't want him falling somewhere again.) So today was the day we were supposed to work on the license and SC ID. I make the calls to find out requirements in QC because I don't want to drive to Paranaque to get a freakin senior citizen card!

The license issue was challenging. My dad has a ticket for a previous traffic violation a year or so ago that he never attended to, so now to get a new license we need to clear up the fine with MMDA. So what's the process? I wanted to find out as much as possible so that there was no back and forth. I'm driving for crying out loud!

Then all of a sudden, my mom comes into the picture. I tell her to wait a bit so I can find out the process. But no, she decides to drag my Dad to MMDA in Makati (without telling me of course) only to find out that MMDA needs his license number to identify the fine. So get this, you had to LTO first.

By lunch time, I guess she decided to do things my way so I pick up Dad at home, bring him to LTO, get the required info AND THEN go to MMDA in Makati. I was expecting that the fine needed to be paid for when we got there and of course asked Dad how much he brought just in case. He tells me he didn't bring any -- my Mom had all his money. So he gives her a call and she says that she's got no more money. My Dad goes on to tell me how she never explains where any of the money he gives her goes... and since Rony, Joy and I pay for rent, medicines, electricity, cable and phone, um, where would the money go? They only eat fish and vegetables, so my Dad was saying groceries are really minimal.

ANYWAY, I'm just so annoyed with this mother of mine! I mean, you know, I wouldn't mind paying for the expenses related to the license and the senior citizen ID. But dang, I'm not gonna pay for it if my Dad says he actually has money for it but my Mom won't hand it over. I wonder sometimes, if I'm the only adult child in the world who has absolutely no trust in her own mother. But honest to God, we pay all the bills directly so that no money passes her hands! My Dad... the one person who still has the heart of gold to let her hold some of his money... and now he can't even get one thousand pesos if needs it.

Then of course, the text wars begin. She sends me all sorts of crap, how she doesn't need to explain, anak lang ako, etc etc. I think this is the first time where I've engaged in a text battle with her where I've been fairly calm and ironically amused. Amused by how she's trying to dig herself out of a hole by telling me crap like kunin mo na sya (when she knows I live with my in-laws), or by telling me that I'm a millionaire (which is hardly true and hardly related to anything).

I often wonder how one person can be so illogical. She texted me not to make pakialam -- and yet really, she was the one who butted into an arrangement my Dad and I had made. I'm often afraid that being the spawn of my mother would eventually sentence me to being like her. And that scares the living shit out of me. I often tell Louie to watch out for it and warn me. I do not want to become a monster!

They say you can't pick your parents or that it's hard raising parents. Whenever I have friends who complain about their mom, I tell them about my Mom and then they're thankful for what they've got. I'm sure deep deep deep deep (times a million) down inside I love my Mom, but dang, does she really need to be so darn unloveable?

Defying Gravity is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.