« Home | The Two Guys in My Bed » | My Visual DNA » | Second Childhood » | Josie and The Pussycats in Outer Space (1972) » | Fraggle Rock Intro » | Great Space Coaster » | Get Cha Head in the Game » | My Little Chloe Turns Four! » | True Lies » | Guess who came to town? » 

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 

English or Filipino?

Being a parent in this day and age ain’t easy. And it ain’t cheap. There’s medicines, doctor’s fees, toys, and general stuff you need for a kid. And then, there’s school.

Now I went to International School Manila. So I know what it is to have a parent spend a truckload of money for education. I have a pretty good idea how much my parents spent to have 3 kids attend school there from Grade 1 to Grade 12 (note, we’ve got Middle School so there’s really a Grade 6, 7 and 8 before High School.) I know how much they spent because I was the one dropping off the checks at the cashier’s office every quarter. And it was not small money. For that, I am forever grateful to my parents for giving me the chance to grow up in such a wonderful, culture-filled environment.

Tuition nowadays here in Manila is quite… interesting. And it’s so hard to make a judgment about schools when there are so many… just in Quezon City alone! Chloe attended the Cradle of Joy Learning Center from January to April 2007 – it was a month to month type of thing that allowed us to gauge whether or not Chloe was ready for school. Once school stopped, we noticed she was quite moody and a bit of a brat. (Note, she was quite well behaved the time when there was school.) So I’m thinking, she’s bored. Summer class here we come!

After checking out not-a-few preschools, I opted to enroll her for 2 weeks at Raya School for 1 and a half hours daily of Storytelling and Art. The fees were quite reasonable, so off we went.

Now here is the clincher with the school – it’s very nationalistic and aims to promote love of country. So naturally, that means language too. I’d all but forgotten that when on the first day, the teacher read a story in English and then was chatting with the children in Filipino! Actually a lot of the moms were really concerned (as was I) since apparently none of us had bothered to ask about the medium of instruction. Moms panicking!!!

I watched as the kids listened intently AND answered questions even when asked in Filipino. Chloe raised her hand to give her opinion on something. And then I thought to myself, “Hey, this ain’t bad.”

It’s hard to admit being an elitist. I think all of us moms want our kids to speak in perfect English (I guess, it’s our colonial mentality.) Then again, I grew up speaking English practically all the time. So it’s not that I think it’s better, it’s just what I’m used to. But thinking about it more, now that Chloe thinks and speaks in English, wouldn’t it be great if she could do the same in Filipino? After all, we are living in the Philippines… and I’d much prefer Chloe to learn Filipino in a classroom rather than from the maids.

Here’s what I don’t want… Taglish. I’d much prefer to have her speak in straight Filipino or in straight English. She can mix ‘em when she’s older… when she knows how to manipulate language really really well.

At Raya, half the class is conducted in English. After snacks, everything is in Filipino. The kids learn about the love of country, love of the national language, national heroes, etc. I think the great thing is, a kid can learn about the Philippines and love his country without having to make the tough choice between English or Filipino. After all, learning both only enriches a child’s life experience and as a parent, that’s all you can ever hope for.

Defying Gravity is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.