American Idol - Philippine Style
Had a chance to catch Philippine Idol last night with Ryan C, Francis M and Pilita C running the show as judges. Ryan Agoncillo hosts (funny, he's got the same name and height as Ryan Seacrest).
The verdict: It's pretty entertaining!
Sure, it's no American Idol. But you know how you watch American Idol and see all these non-talented weirdos perform and really expect to get in? It's not something limited to the Americans! We have our own conceited weirdos as well! One tone-deaf girl even had the nerve to say she'll just be the American Idol! Woohoo! Nervy!
Ryan C. noted in one newspaper article how so many people auditioned for monetary reasons and it was really hard to say no, but it got easier as they moved along. I can only imagine... some of these people wanted to get in and be successful so they could siblings through school, pay for electricity, help an ailing parent, etc. It's tough.
My god, the diction! The accents are all over the place and if you ask me, if it's a very critical element to getting the golden ticket aside from having a good sense of musicality. This one lady sang "Spaghetti" which I found to be very very strange -- but I could hear that she could sing well, nice voice quality, good vibrato. She passed and I was glad that the judges could appreciate her voice behind that joke of a song.
There was some Am-Boy who auditioned as well. Good looking kid. Introduced himself in fluent English. Then, he sings "Anak". It was a perfect Filipino rendition, but it was surprising and he sang it quite well. I have a feeling this one's making it to the finals. So there's another golden ticket.
One guy sang "Ugoy Ng Duyan." And I hate it when people massacre this song (we sang it so many times in High School that I know it by heart). It was awful. Lyrics all over the place. Pitch problems throughout the song. Eeeek.
Another big guy came in and thought he'd teach the judges how to dance the Hawaiian hula. He somehow got EVERYONE to try it out (host included). I thought it was sneaky way to begin an audition and I was thinking, "He probably sings like crap and needs this to distract from how badly he'll do later." Boy, was I wrong. When everyone was finally seated, he burst into Josh Groban song. It was lovely. How great to be proven wrong.
My favorite judge is Ryan C. I think it's because his face really shows what he's thinking. If it sounds crappy, you'll see it in his face. Actually, he's turning out to be the Simon Cowell, but not quite as mean. He's pretty firm though on his decisions. Pilita does a good Paula in the sense that she's not quite. Francis makes a good Randy and hence is a good balance between Ryan C and Pilita. They actually look like they're having alot of fun.
Next week, auditions are in Cebu. It should be really interesting what they find there.
The verdict: It's pretty entertaining!
Sure, it's no American Idol. But you know how you watch American Idol and see all these non-talented weirdos perform and really expect to get in? It's not something limited to the Americans! We have our own conceited weirdos as well! One tone-deaf girl even had the nerve to say she'll just be the American Idol! Woohoo! Nervy!
Ryan C. noted in one newspaper article how so many people auditioned for monetary reasons and it was really hard to say no, but it got easier as they moved along. I can only imagine... some of these people wanted to get in and be successful so they could siblings through school, pay for electricity, help an ailing parent, etc. It's tough.
My god, the diction! The accents are all over the place and if you ask me, if it's a very critical element to getting the golden ticket aside from having a good sense of musicality. This one lady sang "Spaghetti" which I found to be very very strange -- but I could hear that she could sing well, nice voice quality, good vibrato. She passed and I was glad that the judges could appreciate her voice behind that joke of a song.
There was some Am-Boy who auditioned as well. Good looking kid. Introduced himself in fluent English. Then, he sings "Anak". It was a perfect Filipino rendition, but it was surprising and he sang it quite well. I have a feeling this one's making it to the finals. So there's another golden ticket.
One guy sang "Ugoy Ng Duyan." And I hate it when people massacre this song (we sang it so many times in High School that I know it by heart). It was awful. Lyrics all over the place. Pitch problems throughout the song. Eeeek.
Another big guy came in and thought he'd teach the judges how to dance the Hawaiian hula. He somehow got EVERYONE to try it out (host included). I thought it was sneaky way to begin an audition and I was thinking, "He probably sings like crap and needs this to distract from how badly he'll do later." Boy, was I wrong. When everyone was finally seated, he burst into Josh Groban song. It was lovely. How great to be proven wrong.
My favorite judge is Ryan C. I think it's because his face really shows what he's thinking. If it sounds crappy, you'll see it in his face. Actually, he's turning out to be the Simon Cowell, but not quite as mean. He's pretty firm though on his decisions. Pilita does a good Paula in the sense that she's not quite. Francis makes a good Randy and hence is a good balance between Ryan C and Pilita. They actually look like they're having alot of fun.
Next week, auditions are in Cebu. It should be really interesting what they find there.